The goal of our bursary is to encourage young Fernie residents to pursue the arts at post secondary level and continue their studies. Fernie is brimming with talented artists with a diverse range of art practice and backgrounds and we, as the Fernie & District Arts Council, are committed to making sure that our young people are provided with opportunities and support to join this rich community.
The bursary is available to any student graduating from Fernie High School, Fernie Academy or a home school program who is continuing their education at a post secondary level and who plans to focus on the arts in their studies.
In 2018, the bursary amount was increased from $250 in previous years to $1000, through fundraising activities such as the Holiday Wreath Show and generous donations from the Fernie community.
Be a graduating high school student in Fernie graduating from Fernie High School, Fernie Academy or home school program who is continuing their education at a post secondary level who plans to embrace the arts in their studies.
- Bursary paid out upon submission of official enrolment of the post secondary institution.
- Students can defer up to 18months otherwise the bursary must be returned.
- One page letter from student addressing what motivates their art and how they plan to embrace art in their post secondary studies.
- Submission of a portfolio of work relevant to the art studies the student is continuing ( 3-10 pieces depending on the medium). Submissions accepted in person at The Arts Station during hours Mon-Fri 10-3pm or via email to email@example.com
- Submission deadline was May 15th in 2018. Deadline for 2019 to be announced in the January 2019.
- Late entries will not be considered.
- Juried by Arts Station ArtSmart Committee (members of the various Arts Station committees).
- One student will be awarded
- The bursary will be presented at the winner’s graduation ceremony