© 2019 All rights reserved
Arts Station Pottery Access
The Arts Station pottery studio is available to the Fernie community to provide opportunities for creating pottery to all ages in a safe and equitable environment. We want to make sure you have fun, in a well equipped studio with opportunities to grow.
Terms and Conditions
Annual Pottery Membership
We have several annual membership levels to best serve different potters so you only pay for what you use. An annual studio membership entitles you to use of the studio during appointment times, including use of the electric wheels, tables, equipment & communal tools, glazes and slips. The in house pottery tech will be responsible for all kiln operations. FDAC cannot guarantee work and the service is used with an expected level of risk associated with the pottery process.
Read below for other pottery studio access options including drop-in and kiln rental. If you don’t fit into any of the outlined options please come to us and we can discuss your needs and customise as appropriate.
Pottery Annual Membership is valid from May 1st 2021 to March 28th 2022.
Memberships are not prorated.
Limited memberships are available.
To secure a spot membership must be paid in full by May 1st.
If you have a barrier for paying your membership please contact us to discuss, we have options available to help anyone who requires assistance.
FDAC reserves the right to deny a member’s renewal or removal from the studio if FDAC Code of Conduct is not followed.
Number of pieces will be on average and determined based on a mixture of styles/sizes. If you create more in one month but less in another this can average out however there may be a delay in firing especially during busy periods. Please plan ahead for the holiday season.
This also applies to appointments which will be based on an average. Only the listed number of appointments will be guaranteed per month depending on demand. Additional appointments can be purchased if you wish to use the studio more. Pick up appointments are not included in the total but must still be pre-booked at this time.
All annual members must have a working knowledge of ceramics and be able to finish their pot through every step of the process. Pre booked drop in appointments are available for new potters under supervision.
Everyone must watch an orientation prior to using the studio on their own. You will not be permitted appointments until you have completed an annual orientation.
New members must complete a studio orientation to demonstrate skill level.
Once you have demonstrated a comfortable level of skill with studio procedures you may use the studio when the Arts Station building is open for appointments.
Appointments must be booked in advance through the appointment page.
- Clay used in the studio MUST be purchased through theartsstation.com as of May 1st.
- Members clay will be placed in the individuals locker. Please allow 2 business days for this transaction.
- For drop in appointments clay will be ready on the drop in self labelled with your name.
- Buff, speckled, red and white clay are available for purchase.
- A package of clay costs $30.00, which includes the cost of cone 6 firing and the use of studio cone 6 glazes.
- Clay originating outside the studio is not permitted unless hiring the kiln and then proof of clay purchase is required.
- Glazes are only available if you purchased clay though the studio.
- Each annual membership comes with a locker with lock included.
- No food or hazardous materials are permitted to be left in the lockers.
- Lockers must be cleared out at the end of each fiscal year and FDAC will dispose of any items left behind.
- FDAC have a master key and have the right to enter the locker:
- if they suspect non permitted items are inside. FDAC will endeavour to inform members before doing so unless there is imminent danger.
- To place pre-paid clay inside.
- Clean out & dispose of items at the end of each fiscal year.
- Any items that do not fit in the locker should be taken away at the end of each appointment.
- The Arts Station is not responsible for any lost or stolen items (all supplies, tools, and pottery are left at your own risk). There are video cameras in the studio and kiln room see Video Surveillance policy.
- Footage is stored for 7 days. Please do not wait to get in touch if you have a concern (issues related to damage, missing property, etc).
Other Pottery Studio Access Options
Drop in- coming soon!
Drop in requires you to have completed basic pottery skill workshops and is an option if you are looking to develop your skills independently or experienced potters who don’t use the studio regularly enough to require an annual membership. Proof of experience will be required by taking Arts Station workshops or equivalent.
- Additional Member drop in for additional studio time for members who have exceeded their max appointments.
- Supervised drop in for new potters looking to develop their skills. This is self led but the pottery technician will be on hand to answer any questions and advise on safety in the studio.
- Independent drop in is for advance potters that do not have a membership but would like to use the studio on a one off basis.
Drop in appointments still need to be pre booked and payment is expected ahead of time.
If pieces are not moved through the process in a timely manner they will be removed from the studio.
Kiln Hire- coming soon!
- The kiln can be hired to fire independent potters work.
- This service is available to emerging potters who are creating at home but have yet to purchase their own kiln.
- This service is subject to availability and not to be used by full commercial operations.
- Commercial operations in this context is the production of pottery on a large and frequent basis where the majority of the work is sold for the primary income of the artist. For example having pieces permanently for sale in a retail shop or ecommerce.
- Proof of type of clay is required.
- Damage to the kiln due to the work will be expected to be covered by the potter. A damage deposit may be required.
- Repeated issues will result in no hire in the future.
- The kiln is ONLY loaded by the in house pottery technician.
- FDAC cannot guarantee work and the service is used with an expected level of risk associated with the pottery process.
- Timelines cannot be guaranteed and should be booked in advance especially during peak times such as late fall for the holiday season.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for booking.